Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Free Pattern for Crochet Newborn Baby Beanie

I have struggled finding a pattern for a beanie for a newborn that I really liked so I modified my Nic Beanie pattern. I don't have a baby to try this on but I do have a Middleton Doll which is supposed to be a realistic newborn size and this fits nicely. Please comment to let me know if you've tried the pattern, if you have any questions or find any mistakes.

Link to pattern on Ravelry: Newborn Baby Beanie






Newborn Baby Beanie


SPECIAL PATTERN NOTE: Please notice that the chain 2 at the beginning of each row does NOT count as your first DC. It is simply there to prevent a gap between the beginning and end of the row. You won't join to the top of the ch 2 but to the top of the first dc. 





Holding 2 strands of worsted weight yarn and size I hook

Rnd 1: Holding 2 strands of yarn at once, ch 4, join with slip stitch to first chain to form a ring, ch 2, work 11 dc in ring, join with slip stitch to beginning s, ch 2. (11 dc)
Rnd 2: Work 2 dc in each dc around, join with slip stitch to beginning dc, ch 2 (22 dc)
Rnd 3: 2 dc in joining dc, dc in next dc, rep around, join with slip stitch to beginning dc, ch 2  (33 dc)
Rnd 4: 2 dc in joining dc, dc in next 2 dc, rep around, join with slip stitch to beginning dc, ch 2 (44 dc)
Rnd 5: 2 dc in joining dc, dc in next 10 dc, rep around, join with slip stitch to beginning dc, ch 2 (48 dc)
Rnd 6 & 7: Dc in each dc around (48)
Rnd 8: Dc in next 4 dc, work dc dec over next 2 st, dc in next 10 st, dc dec over next 2 stitches, dc in next 10 st, dc dec over next 2 st, dc in last 6 st, join with slip stitch to beginning dc, ch 1 (44 dc)
Rnd 9: Sc in each st around, join with slip stitch to beginning st, turn slip stitch in last sc of round 9, ch 2 (44 sc)
Rnd 10: Dc in each st  around, join with slip stitch to beginning st, ch 1 ( 44 dc)
Rnd 11: Sc in each st around. Finish off. Turn up last 2 rows to create cuff.



10 comments:

  1. Nice looking beanie. Going to start it and will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to ask any questions if you run into a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason mine is coming out way too big to fit a newborn head. I'm using two strands of yarn that I'm sure is thinner than worsted weight and an I hook. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Perhaps I crochet really tight? I had been using another pattern I had purchased and it was coming out too small so I made my own pattern.

      Delete
  4. Here is a link to a picture of the hat on a 7lb. 15 oz. baby.
    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Breejan/newborn-baby-beanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whetes the turtle shell pattern to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchased the Cuddle Cape pattern from Elizabeth Spivey - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hatchling-turtle-cuddle-critter-cape

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed the pattern exactly but the hat is way too big for a newborn. I like the pattern though, and appreciate it being free. I will try again with a smaller hook and maybe one strand of yarn. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who made this and she said it turned out too small. I'd love to know how the one strand turns out for you, Katie. Please let me know.

      Delete
  8. This pattern makes a hat for a 6-9 month old, measuring at closer to 17-18 inches in circumference. I just unraveled my work and I'm going to cut back the stitches to measure closer to 13-14 inches.

    ReplyDelete